Executive summary: Are Bitcoin And Ether Commodities?
Is BTC the digital gold and ETH the digital oil? You could make that case. I analyze in this piece what commodities are, how they are different from securities, and how digital commodities work.
What you will learn:
- What digital commodities are and whether Bitcoin and Ethereum can be considered digital commodities.
- Commodities are fully fungible economic goods, although almost no good is fully fungible in reality.
- Securities represent ownership positions and are financial assets.
- BTC is definitely a commodity. So is ETH. However, the former is no security, while the latter could be one but will likely not fall under such regulation.
- To what extent digital assets are perceived more as commodities and less as equity will influence their long-term trading behavior.